Friday, October 1, 2010

Thesis Meeting - September 3, 2010


Thesis meeting – September 3, 2010

Yes, I am a little behind on the project. Since halfway through the summer I realized I was photographing the wrong people, I still have some shooting to do- Margaret had her surgery in July and I was unable to photograph her during this time. I also got married, which put my photographing behind. Now I have to factor in my school and work schedule into this time- leaving Monday mornings, and some Saturdays and Sundays when I am available to go to Addison to photograph my subjects (assuming the ladies are also available). It’s going to be great!

There are many factors that go into a project like this one that can affect its outcome. By doing this thesis I have learned so many things that will help me prevent roadblocks in my future documentary projects. For my future projects:
·       It’s important to research what you are interested in photographing, but it’s necessary to photograph as many different things as possible to weed out the bad ideas before you can hone in on what you are saying through your work. It’s not really possible to do so with the thesis since the proposal states your intentions, but my project has had several changes since its beginning stages. If I had only photographed from the start and not worried about the voice of the project until now it would have been a better method, (but not as far as theses go). 
·      Your ideas aren’t always what the viewer sees in the project, which is why it’s important to photograph many different things and many different ways, and then pull the ideas into a cohesive body.
·      Not all ideas are great so don’t set them in stone or be upset if the project changes.
·      Scheduling. You have to plan far, far ahead to photograph people. They can and will cancel on you. Also, you can’t have a personal life- it gets in the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment