Friday, October 1, 2010

September 18, 2010

September 18, 2010

I spent today with JoAnn, Margaret, Marie, my parents, and my husband at Marie’s house. This project has been so much about the process- the time spent with these ladies at different times and places- and what I learn from them and from being around them. I’m able to experience their highs- JoAnn’s ongoing adventures in school and travel, as well as their lows- Margaret’s knee surgery and recovery. I’m also able to see them interact with my family, and see the care and love they have for others. The ladies have such a close relationship with each other but are so diverse in age and personality- JoAnn is in her 60’s, Marie in her 70’s and Margaret is in her 80’s. Because of their age differences I am able to see and learn from three very different people in different life stages.
Today was very important because it’s the first time JoAnn, Margaret and my dad have played and sang their gospel music in a long time. It might have been the first time this year. They wanted to practice today so hopefully they will be playing at nursing homes again soon. It is so important for all of them to play- for JoAnn it is an enjoyable time and a time for her to worship and laugh and fellowship. It’s becoming more difficult for Margaret to play so it’s about faith for her. She’s worshipping God and having faith that she can still play. It’s also an escape- an escape from the issues with her knee, with her age, where she can be free and sing. Margaret is dealing with mortality- she’s aging and ending one stage of her life and having faith that she will begin another one soon after. She’s singing about Jesus taking her home and living in Heaven. She has a peace with her mortality.
All of these issues and observations I take away from my time spent really puts life in perspective for me. I’m able to see the different phases of life in the lives of these ladies. See their emotions and their hopes and dreams. It is a comfort to me because I am young and looking at the unknown that is “aging” and I’m able to see what the future may hold- for my parents, friends, and my own life.


No comments:

Post a Comment